Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thinking Before Speaking...a Good Idea!

Some days are challenging and some days are amazing but there are some days that I can’t help but wonder what happened? Let me explain, so there I was minding my own business, waiting on customers (as I am apt to do while at work), when a comment took me totally off guard. I mean I’ve heard about things like this happening but never dreamed it would happen to me. Oh to be in my twenties again when something like this was not a remote possibility…doggone thirties!

Anyways, so like I was saying, I was waiting on this couple and the lady begins whispering to her husband and nodding toward me and he’s saying “nah,” and she’s saying “yes I think so” and he’s like “no way” and she says “I’m going to ask” and he says, “no, don’t” and he looks nervous and through all this I’m just trying to work on their transactions and thinking “Hey, I can hear you!” I mean do they not understand the point of whispering after all?

So finally I look up when I hear the woman mutter something that I was certain I had misunderstood and I ask quite politely, “I’m sorry, what was that?” She proceeds to repeat the question “Are you pregnant?” (Flashback to Christmas episode of Family Matters where Steve presumed to say a woman on the train was with child…and she wasn’t.)

I thought, “You should have listened to your husband, because you are about to DIE.”

Tell me how does one respond non-violently to such a question? Let’s not even address the fact that our society thinks it is perfectly acceptable and normal for a young woman (and that I am,) to be PREGNANT without a HUSBAND!!! Obviously there are bigger fish to fry here but back to the story…

By sheer will power I refrained from reaching out and touching her…and simply said “No, I’m not.” To myself I thought “Stinking M&Ms, why must I love you so?” Sometimes the fewer the words, the better the result, because the woman who asked now began to stutter as she tried to get an apology out and the poor husband was grounded to the floor and his eyes were as big as saucers. Yeah, he wasn’t saying anything. Lol!

I can honestly say that was a first for me. When they were gone and my co-worker assured me that it was not true, and we had a good laugh about the audacity of people in this day and age, I did the only thing a woman could do in this situation…I headed for the M&Ms.

Hey, a girl’s gotta de-stress somehow! Right? :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't get it. Why the heck would anyone look at you and think that AND have the audacity to ask??? You're skinny as a rail... perhaps there was more to it on their end like she had some type of weird dream that she went into a bank and saw a pretty woman with darker skin and she was preggers - so therefore she had to ask??? IDK just weird! And 1) you are right about the issue of society thinking its totally acceptable to be preggers without being married and 2) why does society even think that every woman was put here to procreate?? - married or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say this almost has to be a first for a girl as slender as you to be asked this. I would have to guess that you had a top on maybe such as some that are in style now that might have been worn by pregnant women in the first trimester. I know, though, that as you wrote, you handled it with style and grace. Glad you hit the M&Ms!!

    ReplyDelete

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom