Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentine's Day - To love or to hate? That is the question

I never thought that I would actually consider hating Valentine's Day. When I was a little younger, I was probably the number one fan. I loved matchmaking and even collected stories of how people met and fell in love.

I mean who wouldn't be encouraged to love the day when the great couples of our time and imagination have gone before us.I am a romantic at heart and my favorite fairy tale has always been Cinderalla. Oh when the Prince comes and rescues her from a life of servitude and drudgery and accepts her for who she is, not what she has, well that would make any girl a believer in dreams coming true and her Prince rescuing her some day.

Then there are great ancient accounts of a love like Boaz and Ruth, a story of redemption, or of Isaac and Rebekah, a story of destiny or a story of restoration like David and Bathsheba. How could I not be inspired by the hand of God knitting lives together as part of His plan?

Of course there are those that inspire me from this time like Will Smith and his wife Jada who despite the glam of Hollywood have stayed together. But even closer to my heart are the people that touch my life every day like my friends the O's, who are in their 70s, married for almost 50 years and are still in love and my mom who even though my dad has been gone for 17 years now, still blushes when you mention his name.

Like I said, I never considered hating Valentine's Day, the day to celebrate love... until recently when I started to resent all that inspiration because all it did was remind me that I didn't have it. I didn't have that great love that left me breathless or caused young girls to see me and dream about the day they would experience it. I began to question whether I would ever have it. I watched all my friends get married and felt more and more alone and even worse, forgotten by God. On Valentine's Day in more recent years, those feelings tended to fester. I was and am on occasion tempted to hate the day and all that it stands for because I am alone and the only person that gives me a Valentine is my mom. Lol! Someone loves me! Being bitter and hating the day would definitely be the easier thing to do but "bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." What good is bitterness to me or my health? Who needs it?

Instead I choose to say this "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." and "taste and see that the Lord is good." The truth is I would rather be single than stuck in a miserable relationship or worse a miserable marriage like so many people I know. I want my Prince you know? That one person in whom I could see a reflection of God's amazing love for me.

So I guess for one more year at least I can say Happy Valentine's Day! and mean it. :) Much love to you reader.

8 comments:

  1. Your Prince will come!!!! We love you and trust our Heavenly Father for every aspect of your life including your Prince Charming. We need a cup of coffee soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy would I just love to see you again and give you one of my bear hugs for valentines day. I so miss seeing you and that beautiful smile of yours. God knows your heart and your needs and He has promised to meet those needs if we but first love Him with all our heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your honesty Miranda. You are so sweet. I love reading what you have to say. Your Prince Charming is probably somewhere being completely clueless. (lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. kudos to you,miranda,for waiting and not just go out and get what you want!! alot of us have married when we have been "unfinished". God had to complete adam before he made eve a part of his life.god had guven adam taks to do before he met eve. so maybe god has some things for your man to do before you meet, maybe he is still "unfinished" in some key areas in his life that could cause you guys alot of hurt or discord. the longer you wait the more you allow god to work in his life and the more god will honor your marriage and your faithfulness to god! love ya!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you guys are all so encouraging. Thanks. 95% of my days I know that waiting on God is the greatest thing that I could do. The other 5% I learn a whole lot more about faith. Pastor Achey I could totally use one of your hugs, they were the greatest. I appreciate your comments. If you use the anonymous tab and if you want to you can include your name in your comment so I know who you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miranda I appreciate your transparency, honesty and hope....all inspired by your faith in the One who will never leave us or forsake us. He is amazing! Not too long ago I was avoiding this day as well. I hated it. I also did not want to be reminded of what I did not have. But one day I realized I was foolishly overlooking all that I DID have. I also began to understand my "hatred" of the "love day" was creating a negative spirit that was affecting people around me. Instead of reflecting on the the positive I was caught up in my own sorrow and yes, anger. "Oh God, please forgive me!" Now, even though my circumstance has not changed I rejoice with those around me. I celebrate life and love. A "prince" would be nice but I already have a relationship with the King! He is coming for me someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, nice blog P. Tom. but I think instead of waiting for ur Prince, u shud go out and get him be the Princess dat saved him, use ur 'woman Powers'. Use ur faith and let it guide u to him. and u will see u will get it as good as 'The O's'

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this post and your blog! I'm married and I strongly dislike Valentine's Day (lol). Love my hubby, but if he has to be prompted to show some love, he can keep it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom