Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Competition, Fashion and a Crown

I have never really considered myself an extremely competitive person. I mean generally speaking, in certain situations it is okay if someone else wins. For instance, I don't have to own the latest in fashion. So what if skinny jeans are in? Does it mean I have to be in skinny jeans? Trust me, it is not a good look for most who try it. Rather, I like having my own sense of style (I do use this phrase loosely for those of you who are chuckling right now). I don't always want to go with the flow.

Then their are the techies of our world who must 'upgrade'. I have had the same desktop PC for about 12 years and only in the last year did I venture into the wide world of laptops due to encouragement from my personal techie. Having found one I love I don't plan on upgrading for a while. My cell phone recently broke and I couldn't get one for another 9 months or so unless I outright bought one. Well some people would have jumped at the opportunity and gotten a new and improved phone maybe one with complete touch screen etc. Not me, I liked my old one so much I just found the very same phone and ordered it again.

Like I said, I'm not very competitive in certain areas. However, I've recently gotten into playing games and I've noticed a change in me that happens when I get in the zone. I hate to say this, but it is not a pretty change. Reminds me of that Disney clip of Goofy getting behind the wheel of his car and turning into Mr. Hyde. Scary! I remember the good old days when I never cared who won, it was all in fun. Now there's a whole new attitude. I mean the other day my mother kicked my butt in Yahtzee and my friend racked up most of the points in Rack-o and I am telling you...I was not a happy camper. Where did this attitude come from? Walk away, just walk away. Lol!

In playing these games though I realized that a little competition may not be such a bad thing. It certainly challenges a person to do better, to come up with a good strategy, to be on the look out for good opportunities and to keep an eye on the enemy (opponent) at all times!

When I was a kid I didn't play a lot of sports (never cared for all that sweat to be honest). Let's just lay aside the fact that my hand-eye co-ordination was more like hand-foot co-ordination, I didn't like the idea of getting hurt and the possibility of fatalities at any moment. Besides, I was much happier being class president and the top student in my class (not bragging peops just stating mere facts :)But I did love to run and there was hardly a 100 meter dash that I did not jump at the chance to be a part off. I was actually pretty good at the time and took home the gold often.

Today I find myself running a different kind of race, one not for "...a crown that will not last; but for a crown that will last forever..." Truth is, "...I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers (and sisters), I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it, but one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Hmmm,it's like fashion you know, it may mean going against the flow at times. Or like upgrades, just because Christianity is packaged in new ways and different philosophies are popping up that are more convenient, their is no 'upgrading' the truth. It is what it is. God does not change. Or perhaps it's like playing a game or running a race where trying to be the best is a good thing, it means coming up with a good strategy, (spending time with God and in His Word on a regular basis). It means being on the look out for good opportunities (God appointments, the right time to share an encouraging word or tell someone about salvation etc.) and it means keeping an eye on the enemy (opponent) at all times (there is no doubt that we should put on the full armor of God every day, to help us win the daily trials that come and to keep our eyes on the prize).

Wearing the latest Nike's may be cool but reaching for that 'crown' is even better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom