Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Great Apartment Hunt

So as Joe and I prepare to embark on the great marriage adventure, there are so many things that need to be done and so many changes that have to be made. I’m not just talking planning the wedding ceremony and the reception, but all the life changes that come with it. One of the biggest ones is moving in together. Joe and I both live with our families currently so either of us moving in with the other was out of the question. :) (We are trying to avoid conflict and possible death at all costs). Haha!

It’s been an interesting journey. The first apartment we looked at (and I use the term ‘apartment’ loosely) was a dark slum with questionable black paneled rooms (literally), and a tiny fire escape window (put in for insurance purposes). We agreed that we felt like diseases were crawling on us from just standing there. It was a dirty death trap. Crazy! I’m shocked this guy even listed this. Next we encountered a higher end apartment(the higher end part being that it was on the 3rd floor of this very green building). Well the apartment was what is referred to as an ’efficiency’ apartment. In the real world 'efficiency' translates to ‘small’ with 'midget-like' qualities. But the apartment wasn’t half as interesting as the eccentric landlord who talked non-stop for like an hour and kept trying to give us coffee (not Timmy H’s buddy!) Strike 1! Regardless, we found him to be an intriguing guy until we learned later from someone who knew him that he was slightly psychotic. 2 down.

We looked at several others including one that was actually quite nice but was located in the middle of 'no where in particular' and was situated above a commercial garage. It had a rubber roof (i.e. weird, ugly and flammable). Uh no! Another one we felt like maybe someone might have been killed there and the body buried in the tiny crawl space beneath the living room (creepy) or hidden behind the dated wood paneled walls. Another one smelled interesting, like a combination of a neglected retirement home and death. Plus the amazing green checkered bathroom was slightly deterring.

Probably one of my faves was the one where the kitchen cupboards started way above my head so that literally I would need a step ladder to reach – anything. I reckon the saloon doors leading into the living room was a downright mighty fine addition but seemed entirely out of place. (It looked like the old west crashed into someone's living room).

The truth is sometimes in life good things are harder to come by like finding a decent apartment. We have to wait on God. The question is do we give up cause it’s too long a wait? Is it too difficult to trust? Or do we just settle for something cause we are not sure something better is going to come along? I admit the apartment search was getting daunting but we kept looking and finally when all hope seemed to be lost we found an adorable 2 bedroom apartment that was clean, roomy, modern and even has a balcony. Oh and wait, the best part is we walked in and it felt like...our first home :)

The lease is signed! God is good! Hang in there if you are trusting Him for something at this point in your life and we’ll let you know when our house warming party is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom