Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Party in the USA

See the trouble with going to an all girls' High School (although the greatest school ever), is that (brace yourself), there are only girls there. Now hear me out, I was not exposed to the mysterious ways of teenage boys much growing up. Aside from brothers, cousins, neighborhood friends, the boy scouts, my hiking club and the occasional stalking of the cute guys from the all boys' school next door, can't say I have had tons of interaction with this sect and well whereas most people wouldn't be shocked by some of the antics of these up and coming men I found myself completely in discovery mode as I drove 4 teen boys home from youth group a couple nights ago.
I have to admit I was a little nervous, 4 very boisterous young men were first of all in my precious Al (please, you know you name your cars too or at least plan on doing it now cause it's totally the right thing to do). So we are driving along and these guys are talking video games, war games in the back yard, destroying skateboards, other kids getting punched etc. Okay so the violence in this conversation was making me a little uncomfortable. I decided to question them a little to make sure they weren't packing heat (Hey, I watch cop shows, I know the lingo). So I thought "Ok boys will be boys, they are rough and tough men folk." Right?
Then suddenly switching from war games and blowing things up one of the boys started talking about a song he had downloaded and was so excited about. Now I'm a little apprehensive as to what these kids listen to these days but as he turned on his IPod, the strains of the popular Miley Cyrus song "Party in the USA" began to play and lo and behold these 4 macho, gangsta' wannabe sort of guys suddenly have cell phone lights in hand, waving their hands and singing to this song! All of them! Together! I couldn't believe it! This is what teenage boys do? Play war games and sing the latest pop songs? Lol! Well I was definitely no longer nervous because I was now laughing so hard I could barely catch my breath.
During the first 12 minutes of that ride I was convinced that I was never going to have kids...ever! but then in those last few moments I was reminded of the truth that men often look and judge by outward appearances but God looks at the heart. These kids may be rough around the edges but they love youth group and hearing about God and no doubt God will continue to work in them. I think the Lord was reminding me that it's a good idea to look beyond the surface, people have more than one layer. They may just surprise you! Oh and just for the record I think I might still want kids...some day. :)

3 comments:

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom