Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Experimental Surgery

When your thoughts start out with "I wonder if I would need a doctor to do this or if I could do it myself?" you should know that whatever you are thinking of doing is probably not a smart idea. I know, now you are curious and have to hear the whole story so here goes.

See I had this little mole on my upper left cheek. It was about the size of a pin head. well for some reason it started to aggravate me so I kept picking at it. Mistake #1. Pretty soon the little pin head was sore and now broken and sticking straight out about 1/4 inch but of course still attached to my face. I was spending the weekend at a friend's house and preparing to play the role of Esther in my church's drama the next day. As I was staring at my face around midnight in the bathroom mirror I thought I can't play one of the most beautiful queens with this thing on my face and that's when I had that thought I mentioned earlier. Mistake #2.

I figured I could do this as I recalled how we had gotten rid of a mole on my mom's arm a few years ago. So why not? The truth is I forgot that my mom's mole swelled up like a ripe cherry and caused her serious agony for 2 or 3 days before it finally gave up the fight but somehow I managed to block that out of my mind. (Sheesh! I wonder why?). Mistake #3. So needless to say I walked into the living room and said to my friend, "so...do you think that we could get rid of this mole with some thread?". Mistake #4. Of course one would hope that in the event that one suggests something ridiculous and potentially life threatening, that one's friend would absolutely take a stand against it and refuse to be a part of it. Unfortunately in my situation, said friend replied "OK, let's do it" and headed to get her sewing kit. Mistake #5.Armed with thread we headed back to the bathroom and I braced myself as she tied the thread into a loose knot and got it around the little offender. As she began to pull the knot taut she said, "now this may hurt, are you ready?". Mistake #6.

Ever try to cut off a part of yourself using some thread? Not pretty or pleasant. She continued to pull the thread and it began to slice into my flesh. Ouch! I gripped the sides of...well I don't exactly know what I was gripping because I was experiencing a deep concentrated level of pain at the time. When she pulled it as far as she could go and she let go thinking the little bugger would pop off. Nope! It was still hanging on along with a now very long piece of thread which was attached to my face. I opened my eyes which had been shut and was about to ask if she got it when I noticed a stark look of horror on her face as she stared at the pieces of thread now embedded in my face. Mistake #7.

I groaned and felt panic setting in as I looked in the mirror. "Well we could trim the thread really close and maybe no one will notice," she said as she pulled out a pair of scissors and began the sanitizing process. Mistake #8. I looked at the very scary looking pair of scissors now being drenched in iodine, hot water and rubbing alcohol and I suddenly felt a little nauseated. Finally satisfied that the scissors were sterilized she turned to me and told me not to move. Who was moving? I was grounded like Punxsutawney Phil. Eyes closed I heard the snip snip of the scissors. When they stopped I opened one eye and asked what it looked like. She said I can't get the thread off. Mistake #9. I looked in the mirror and saw that she had clipped off the little mole and now there was a little knot of thread attached to my face. Well the good news was I think the knot cut of the circulation because I didn't even know when she cut off the mole. I took a deep breath and said to her very seriously, "Get the tweezers." Another sanitizing ritual and then with her holding the tweezers and me pulling the skin on my cheek down, 'Operation Thread Removal' commenced. Mistake #10.

Finally with the mole gone and the thread gone, we trimmed down a band aid, got the neosporin out and I grabbed some BBQ chips to ease the pain and anxiety as I nursed my booboo! The good news is by the grace of God,(and only by the grace of God), the operation was successful (this time). However a word of advice, in the future if you are thinking about experimental surgery on yourself... DON'T!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Girl you still are a source of interest for me. Don't know why you'd let a little spot worry you. Such a beautiful girl you are and I'm sure you made a gorgeous Esther. God is good and I think that He does look after the crazy and the not so smart things we do. Remember what Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes - vanity vanity all is vanity. Love you girl

    ReplyDelete

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom