Welcome to my blog!

So the truth is that trying to survive in our world as a woman is hard enough at times but toss in some Christianity and you got yourself quite a challenge. My name is Miranda and welcome to my blog. I recently married the love of my life and went from the single life to the newly married adventure. I'm sure my upcoming writings will dive into this new and exciting stage of my life. Sometimes life is quite funny, sometimes it's downright entertaining, and sometimes it can get a little bit more serious. I love God and want to live a life that pleases him but that sometimes is easier said than done. :) So join me as I walk through the trials, struggles and joys of life when the only thing that works is a little chocolate and a lot of faith.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Step 1 - Snack Right

So the journey begins with the realization that our working environment is really a breeding ground for unhealthy snacking. I mean who can't resist munching on whatever is at hand when you hit that mid-morning lull closely followed by the afternoon drag? I found myself digging into potato chips, candy, chocolate, pretzels, crackers, soda...well you get the picture. Not only was this practice unhealthy for my body but unhealthy for my wallet. Hungry...run next door and grab a candy bar...thirsty ...get a pop from the vending machine...invest globs of money in things that give bursts of energy and then leave you feeling icky. I decided that change must happen so I made a list of snack items based on all the relevant good food reports of the day and headed to Wally World.

Armed with snacks to last between 2 to 3 weeks I wondered how I would survive on these items. No cookies? no potato chips? What is this? Prison? OK the temptation to renege on this goal was very tempting. However, let's see I have been snacking for about a week on these new snacks and I was certain that I would be craving chocolate chips and beautiful frosted donuts...where was I again? Oh yeah, but nope I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was having more energy and less of the afternoon blahs and get this, I went to Timmy H's and got soup, coffee and a donut and I had no desire to eat the donut! I know! I guess it's true, you put enough good stuff in and that's what you start craving. Just like the Word. Taste and see that the Lord is good.

So here is the deal, if you need to take a step to healthier snacking, a little purposeful shopping and planning is what you need. Here is my list, maybe it will inspire you...just a little. In a week where I would normally have eaten at least 6 cookies, 3 candy bars, a muffin, a donut, maybe a bag of chips or two, I had a chocolate macaroon and I didn't even miss the other stuff.

FIRST SNACK RIGHT SHOPPING LIST

-Tub of favorite yogurt (more cost effective and if you have a fridge at work it's very convenient)
-Blueberries or other berries packaged in snack portions to enjoy by themselves or with your yogurt or cottage cheese. Excellent source of antioxidants!
-String cheese, convenient and tasty
-Applesauce, bring in a jar or single serving portions work great as well.
-Baby carrots, cucumbers or celery- get your veggies on!
-Replace your soda intake with water, juice or the great tasting V8 Fusion.
-Trail Mix-packaged in serving sizes. Get a couple different kinds and alternate. Great source of energy

Eating healthier may take a little more work but it is definitely worth it. If you have some great snacking secrets for work or home or when you are on the go, please share it. Snack Happy! :)
-

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I am inspired to work harder at it too! Nice to hear the cravings do go away! :) Love tha analogies you always use too!

    ReplyDelete

Austin

Austin
Miranda Tom